You may face QuickBooks error code 15106 while using QuickBooks. It is a common error that QuickBooks users face all across the globe. When this error displays, usually users are unable to update QuickBooks Payroll. It is a simple error to solve, and within a few steps, you will be able to get going with software.
Causes of QuickBooks Error Code 15106
This error is related to QuickBooks update issues. When QuickBooks Error Code 15106 shows up, it may display either “The update program is damaged” or “the update program cannot be opened” errors. This is due to the issue with the update process and the error message to show up in QuickBooks could be either of the following issues:
- The existence of Spy Sweeper program in Webroot antivirus software on your system at times hinders with some programs, like QuickBooks. It could have stopped QB update program.
- If you have not logged in with a User ID that does not have Administrator rights, the Error 15106 might show up. Generally, User ID without Admin rights is not allowed to read or write files on the system, thus leading to an error in QuickBooks.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 15106?
There are various ways to fix the issue so that QuickBooks Payroll is updated seamlessly.
Verify that you are logged in with a user ID which does have Administrator rights. If logged in as a non-admin ID, consider logging out and then logging in with an ID which does have the Admin rights.
- If Spy Sweeper process is running on your computer, it may obstruct QuickBooks update process of, thus returning Error 15106. You can look into this issue by accessing the task manager and ending the Spy Sweeper process. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open Task Manager in Windows. To do so, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys together on your keyboard.
- In the Processes tab, look for process named SpySweeper.exe. If found, click on it to select, then press the End Task option to close it. This would most probably solve QuickBooks Error 15106.
- If any SpySweeper.exe process is not found, then you will need to reset the QuickBooks update option. To do that, open the C Drive on your system, then move to the following folder location: C:\ Program Files\ Common Files\ Intuit\ QuickBooksxx\ components. In this folder, you will find a file named download<nn>. Right click on the file and click on the Rename option, then rename it to downloadqb<nn> old. The QuickBooks Update will be refreshed and you can be able to fix QuickBooks Update Error 15106.
- If the issue is still not fixed, another thing you can do is uninstall QuickBooks, then reinstall in freshly on your system.
- In case, you are unable to fix QuickBooks Error 15106 by following the above-given solutions or you are having any difficulty at any of the point. You can get help by posting your query at the QuickBooks Community.
There are several troubleshooting steps to resolve this error. If you are looking for professional help, please contact our QuickBooks Error Support Number.