QuickBooks has stopped working is not a rare error in QuickBooks accounting software. A QB user can get this error while he or she is opening QB Desktop or the user may find that the program has suddenly got frozen without any error message appearing on the screen.
What are the causes of QuickBooks has stopped working error?
QuickBooks has stopped working error can be caused by several reasons such as -
- Company name is longer than the recommended length.
- QBWUSER.INI file is damaged.
- QBWUSER.INI file is missing.
- Hard drive of your computer has got corrupted.
- QB program files are damaged.
- Installation files of QB Desktop are corrupted.
- Some sort of damage has taken place in the Microsoft Windows operating system.
What happens when QuickBooks has stopped working error occurs?
A user of QuickBooks accounting software sees the following symptoms when this error occurs -
- QuickBooks will not respond to your inputs.
- QuickBooks freeze and will get closed.
- QuickBooks would not open.
- Windows will become slow or non-responsive, and may even get crashed.
- A message window with the message that QuickBooks has stopped working gets displayed on the screen.
- QuickBooks may close abruptly resulting in data loss.
How to resolve QuickBooks has stopped working error?
Solutions are available to troubleshoot this error -
Solution No. 1 - Run QBRefresher Tool
This tool stops background QB processes and carries out mini repair on QB.
- Before using this tool, all QB versions should be closed.
- Download the tool and save on desktop.
- Run it and let it complete its work.
- Again, open QB.
Solution No. 2 - Download and run QB Install Diagnostic Tool
- Go to the Intuit’s website and look for the QB Install Diagnostic Tool page.
- Download the tool.
- Save the downloaded file on desktop.
- Before using this tool, all open programs should be closed.
- Run the tool.
- Wait until QBInstall Tool completes its work.
- Reboot your machine and check for QuickBooks has stopped working error.
Solution No. 3 - Rename file
Follow the below steps to rename QBWUSER.ini file -
- First of all, go to the folder storing QBWUSER.ini file.
- Do a right-click on the QBWUSER.ini file.
- From the options that appear on right clicking, you have to choose Rename.
- You have to add at the end of name of the file, the word – ‘.old’.
- After renaming QBWUSER.ini file, renaming of the file known as EntitlementDataStore.ecml is required.
- Finally, open your QB and check whether QuickBooks has stopped working issue is appearing or not.
Solution No. 4 - Clean Install
This solution involves reinstalling QB clean install. This process entirely removes from the PC the all QB installation files and folders.
If you are unable to troubleshoot QuickBooks has stopped working error by using above-mentioned solutions, call Accountant Squad at QuickBooks Error Tech Support 1-888-502-0363 for instant technical support.